- Abuelaish, Izzeldien. I shall not hate.
- Braverman, Mark. Fatal Embrace.
- Dimbleby, Jonathan. The Palestinians.
- Kassis, Rifat Odeh. Kairos for Palestine.
- Patterson, Richard North. Exile.
- Volf, Miroslav. Exclusion and Embrace.
Films on Palestine/Israel:
- Israel vs. Israel, a documentary film by EAPPI member Terje Carlsson.
- Lemon Tree, a feature film on land confiscation
- Live and Become, a feature film on the plight of the Ethiopian Jews in Israel and the discrimination against them. The Occupation is also briefly mentioned, and although I do not agree with every word in the film, it does portray that many Israelis do not agree that Palestine should be occupied, but prefer peace and a one-state solution. In a powerful scene in a debate on “The colour of Adam”, the main character (a Christian Ethiopian boy) delivers a profound plea in favour of all of us having “red skins” against his opponent (a Zionist boy) who opted for a literal interpretation of the Torah (the Old Testament).
- Munich, a feature film based on historical events. After Black September’s assassination of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics in 1972, Israel’s then Prime Minister Golda Meir sanctions a black-box retaliation. Violence leads to more violence.
- Occupation 101, an award-winning documentary film on the root causes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Watch the whole film here on YouTube. See also www.occupation101.com/
- Paradise Now, feature film on suicide bombers – very insightful.
- Roadmap to Apartheid, an excellent, disturbing yet inspiring documentary describing the Palestinian situation in comparison to the apartheid system in South Africa, released in March 2012.
- Football and barriers. A Brazilian movie, released in October 2011, on football, the 2010 World Cup in the context of the occupation and militarism. Brought to my attention by fellow EA/Brazilian football referee, Eduardo Minossi de Oliveira.
Links on Palestine/Israel:
- EAPPI Facebook Group
- Follow EAPPI on Twitter
- Updates from the United Nations Office for Humanitarian Affairs
- Interview with Marthie Momberg on Channel Islam International
- Kairos vir Palestina en postapartheid-Suid-Afrika op Litnet.
- Settlements in the West Bank: Peace, or piece by piece?
My own books:
- Colours of Love – in life and death and thereafter. Translated from the Afrikaans. Pretoria: Protea Boekehuis. Review and order.
- Kleure van Liefde, in lewe en sterwe en daarna. Pretoria: Protea Boekehuis. Resensie. Bestel boek.
One thought on “books, films, links”
Here is another film I made as an EA:-)
Good luck to you!